Sunday, September 17, 2006

Ah, the NHL...


So the NHL was back in Winnipeg
for one night.
And it was good.

Part of me is sad for the dedicated folks in Winnipeg who lost their team.
Because "loyal fans" doesn't really describe the commitment these folks have to the Jets.
Still.

I think "Go Jets Go" broke out 3 different times in the 3rd period.
The first was the loudest
and I shook my head
and joked in reply,
"Go Home Jets"
But the truth is that would be here.
Which would be good.
Because there's something great about NHL hockey.

Reality is the folks here are hockey fans.
To the core.
Jets, yes.
But hockey.
They cheered loudly when the Oilers were introduced.
And gave the same welcome to the ex-Jets from Phoenix.
Truth be told,
if Doan scored the place would've erupted.
And that would have been kind of fun.
But he didn't.
In fact, even though the Jets fans in the picture are beating me up,
Let it be known that the Oilers (and Craig MacTavish - note his head :))
won 5-0.
But it would have been fun even if they didn't.
I like the way the fan beside me put it,
"Go Hockey Go!"
Let the season begin.

3 comments:

tamara noelle said...

Ahh yes...loved this post. Let hockey begin. WOOHOO!!!

Matthew van Leeuwen said...

I have decided that I am a poor commenter of blogs. That said, I'm not quite sure what to say. I did see the highlights from the game and a feeling of pride welled up within me. On TSN they showed some old footage of the Jets in the playoffs it was awesome.
But the truth of the matter is this: how much did people pay to sit in the front row at this an exhibition game? Over $100. Sorry not going to happen in Winnipeg. That's my thought anyways. Don't want to rain on anyone's parade...
"Go, Jets, Go" indeed.

Amanda said...

Oh my goodness.
I'm so jealous i almost can't see straight.
Mostly because three girls (the good-looking popular ones at any rate) from the dorms were asked to go to the game with three guys who otherwise wouldn't have a chance in ...yeah...you know what i was going to say. AND THEY GOT TO SEE THE GAME FOR FREE!!
And lucky you guys...alas...GO JETS GO!