Sunday, August 19, 2007

Innocent faith and awe

Our camp pastor this week was explaining to the kids how much God loves us.
It's a tough concept to get across.
Hard for us to understand.
More than we can possibly imagine.
And in a quiet pause following his explanation,
a 7 year old voice from the front row of boys called out
completely honestly, and innocently.
"Even more than my mom and dad?"

"Yes," was the reply.
"Even more than your mom and dad."

Indeed.
Incomprehensible.
Unconditional.

"Let the little children come to me, for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven."

I might add,
that I was so wonderfully encouraged as well
by the fact that this kid knows beyond a doubt
how much his parents love him.
I teach kids every day who aren't always sure.
Maybe that's part of being 10 and not 7.
Of realizing that your parents aren't perfect.
But for now,
I just want to revel in his complete surety
of his parents' love.

I pray that he can be that sure of his Father's love, too.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

there's always this little twist in my stomach when i think of all this kind of stuff - so much harder to grasp than I'd ever thought

Theresa said...

hey sarah van - i miss your blogs!
hope the school year is going well and that you continue to be encouraged and encouraging.... :)