Thursday, June 25, 2009

So honest...

At the end of every school year, I ask the kids to give advice for the upcoming grade 5 class. Most of the advice is pretty straight-forward: do your homework, don't interrupt the teacher, cheer for the Oilers (that's straight-forward, isn't it?), and so on.

Some years I get humbling thoughts or encouraging remarks.

One in particular stood out today:

"Miss Van tells a lot of jokes. Laugh even when they aren't funny."

I had to chuckle. I thought it was going to say something to the effect of "so that keeps things interesting." However, apparently in order to survive grade 5, it is important to humour me and make me feel good about myself.

At least they're honest.

2 comments:

Chloe @ A Creative Call said...

I'm sure you are hilariously funny. Perhaps the advice should have read, "Laugh even when you don't quite get it." Even I am slow with puns, at almost 3 times a fifth graders age (and if I remember correctly, you are just as witty with the puns as Kelly.)

Julie and Greg said...

Too funny!! Kids are an honest bunch aren't they? Although I think your humour is great!