Monday, August 17, 2026

We're Flying!

I started writing this the other day, but had no inspiration.
It was kind of like writing report cards early. 
It just doesn't work. 
Ha.

Although it's not early - my appointment with the surgeon was last Wednesday already.
And things continue to look good.
Stitches are out. 
Not much else required - although we're still steri-stripping -
Except taking things slowly and not lifting. 

We were given the okay to fly!
We still had/have our last-leg-of-the-journey tickets; 
we didn't want to cancel them if there was any chance we could use them.
And the surgeon said we are good to go.
So new "getting-there" tickets have been purchased
and we are going to take in the tail-end of our summer trip.

Traveling days will be long.
My body tells me if I've been on my feet too much,
And we're still keeping lifting and reaching to a minimum,
But we're heading out!

And, once again, thankful. 
I was rereading an email that a colleague sent me the week before my surgery - 
They were praying that "everything that needed to be removed would be done so accurately and fully, that it is all contained with no farther spread, and that the next steps and recovery process would be a cakewalk."
And while "cakewalk" isn't exactly how I would describe all of the pieces along the way, 
God has never left me to feel like it was more than I could manage if I just trusted that He had this.
And I am humbly aware that this has been so much easier than it has been for so many others I know who have walked and are still walking a cancer journey. 
The piece that actually stuck with me, through all of this were the three words that followed the cakewalk:
"One can believe."

And I love so deeply that others believed this for us.
And held us in prayer,
And reminded us of God's goodness and His faithfulness.

Sometimes in the middle of it all, it's hard to believe.
It's a lot easier to be a realist, to be practical, maybe a little cyncial, too - 
Even if I know and knew deep down that there was hope for things to go this well. 
In my head and my heart, I couldn't look ahead. 
I couldn't anticipate or imagine. 
I simply had to trust that God had the details for today.

I know I've said it before, but there really was peace there.
A peace that might have made it hard for others to know what to say 
or how to process when I was trying really hard not to.

Which leads me again to simply be thankful.
Thankful for words and truths that were taught to me long ago,
And which have been embedded deeply into who I am.

"I am weak, but You are mighty; hold me with Your powerful hand.
Bread of Heaven...feed me now and evermore..."


No comments: