Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Home Sweet Home...

We had a children's choir in from Uganda today.
20 orphans and their "aunties" and "uncles".
Amazing.
Their energy and enthusiasm was inspiring.
They were singing and dancing and smiling the whole way through.
And I was tapping my toes and (trying to) dance, and also smiling the whole way through.
Contagious joy, really.
I couldn't help but reflect their joy.

And then it dawned on me.
No one misses them.
They don't have parents to call to say they are having a good time.
Or that they arrived safely.
Or who will greet them with open arms at the airport upon their return.
They are gone for 6 months.
And they are with all the family they have.
They share their stories with each other.
And that's good.
But there is this crazy delight in arriving home from a trip and sharing tales of the adventures you've been on.
And knowing that your mom or dad waits eagerly to hear exactly that.

I wanted to hug all of them.
And to suddenly put an addition onto my house.
I'm pretty sure I could hold 20 kids in the backyard in tents for now.
Almost positive.

Uganda.
Prayers for the children of Uganda.
Is there a reason they are tugging at my heart strings?
Suddenly they aren't Invisible Children anymore.

No comments: