Sunday, June 18, 2006

Trust...and obey

I've been challenged to think a lot in the last while.
And thinking a lot also puts into question where my heart is at.
Sometimes I think I can keep the two separate.
But really, I'm learning that I can't.
What I think about is what's on my heart.
And what's on my heart is what I think about.

And the consolidation of them (thanks, Margaret)
Has brought me to that age old chorus of
Trust and obey.
I know they are supposed to just go together nicely...
trust and obey.
The thing I've come to realize, however,
is that sometimes it's easy to say, "I trust."
God is faithful.
God is good.
He cares for His children.
Sounds simple, doesn't it?
The funny part is that it's not that easy.
The trust part - it's a head thing.
Mind over matter.
That I can do.
But the obey part - it's more than a mindset.
It's a following through.
It takes action.
It asks me to check in on who God is calling me to be.
And the truth is that's not always an easy answer.
It goes back to that verse in Ephesians.
"Find out what pleases the Lord."
Again, simple?
I think not.
Obedience isn't just something I can decide and do.
First I have to figure out what obeying God really means.
And it's not always the same thing.
Sounds like a lot of reasons to throw my hands up.
Argghh.
Or sighhhh.
Impossible.
Impossible?
Sort of...but I'm not in it alone.
He's promised to help me understand what I need to.
(Not necessarily all that I want to...)
And to walk alongside me through the entire mess.
And to bring me blessing through my choices.
Not necessarily to agree with all my choices.
Or to make them hurt-free.
Or to have them turn out the way I think they should.
But to be there nonetheless.
And to hold me in His hands.
They're big hands.
Steady and full of grace.
Good thing.
And He won't throw His up at a loss for what to do next.
He is constant.
And is holding me tightly.
Gripped in His grace.

No comments: