Monday, May 21, 2007

Embarrassed to quote my source...

I've had a few rambling thoughts today.
Some that got rambled out in my head.
Some that aren't finished rambling yet.
And some that have been rambling for awhile -
finally needing to be expressed.

Most of this rambling started a week ago when I read some sermons from this great guy I know who has been a preacher for about as many years as I have been alive (go Dad!).

He was talking about Jesus journey to the cross
from childhood until he is crucified,
and how Jesus never demonstrates the emotion of fear.
Sorrow, yes.
Anguish, yes.
But fear? No.

There is something about Him that is completely unfathomable to us.
We cannot,
no matter how intensely we try,
imagine a world or a life without fear.
By that and through that,
we can never totally love the way that God intended us to.

I heard someone say last week
(this is the source I am to embarrassed to acknowledge - I'm sure they don't mind!)
That "when you're dealing with choices - you have 2 perspectives:
How would love decide,
and how would fear decide."
The person who said it followed this with,
"You have to let love decide."

The combination of those two thoughts puts me all over the place.
With God.
With friends and family.
With people who I've had deeper relationships with.

Fear that it won't turn out the way I want it to.
Fear that God's will isn't the same as what my eyes see or my heart feels.
Fear that I will be hurt.
Fear that I will really have to love seventy times seven times.
Fear that I will be taken advantage of if I love as Christ loves.
Fear that I understand the example Christ has set before me incorrectly and thus my love is not really a reflection of His.

What it comes back to is that I need never fear His love.
He IS love.
It won't fail.
He always protects.
His mercies are new every morning.
He is faithful.

He loves me.
And wants me to delight in Him,
in His love,
and in loving Him in return
more than anything else.

"Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged,
for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts. And the love part I need to remember for reasons you already know.
(And, I know the embarrassing source. I too thought it was rather profound, despite the source! Your secret is safe with me. ha ha ha) -LK

Margaret said...

Ahhhh, I wish! Unfortunately the funds aren't available right now. (Unless, of course, Covenant could subsidize the venture! :))

But we'll be in Winnipeg in early July--around the 4th or so.

Margaret said...

Was he serious? How about 75%?

Leanne. said...

Wow. I didn't even realize that you read my blog or that you had one (or did we talk about this at some point in the distant past? If so, and I forgot, sorry.).

Some great insights, Sara. Good for anyone at any point in their journey - spoke to me. :) Preach it, girl.